Reiki is a form of alternative therapy commonly referred to as energy healing. It emerged in Japan in the late 1800’s and is based on the premise of transferring universal energy from the practitioner’s palms to their client. At Refined Health & Wellness, we offer Reiki sessions from 30 minutes up to 90 minutes.
WHAT IS REIKI?
- Reiki is a Japanese healing technique based on the principle that the therapist can channel energy into the patient by means of touch, to activate the natural healing processes of the patient’s body and restore physical and emotional wellbeing.
- The word Reiki is made of two Japanese words – Rei, which means “the Higher Power”, and – Ki, which stands for “Life Force Energy”: together meaning “spiritually guided life force energy”.
- The knowledge of an invisible energy that flows through all living things has been part of the wisdom of many healing cultures for thousands of years.
- When our life force energy is low, it impacts our wellbeing and personal health. Reiki is an energy that works on the mental, physical, emotional and spiritual level. The technique increases one’s Life Force Energy, which brings the body back into balance and promotes a healthier life.
HOW DOES REIKI WORK?
- According to Reiki practitioners, energy can stagnate in the body where there has been physical injury or possibly emotional pain. In time, these energy blocks can cause illness.
- Energy medicine aims to help the flow of energy and remove blocks in a similar way to Acupuncture or acupressure. Improving the flow of energy around the body can enable relaxation, reduce pain, speed healing, and reduce other symptoms of illness.
WHAT TO EXPECT DURING A REIKI TREATMENT
- Reiki is a hands-on modality that promotes relaxation. The practitioner places his or her hands on areas of the body that retain the most tension and stress (the head, the face, the shoulders, the back, the stomach, the knees, and the feet). If there is a particular injury, such as a burn, the hands may be held just above the wound.
- While the practitioner holds their hands lightly on or over the area, a transfer of energy takes place. During this time, the practitioner’s hands may be warm and tingling. Each hand position is held until the practitioner senses that the energy has stopped flowing. This hand placement promotes a connection between practitioner and client. This provides an environment where the practitioner can truly pay attention to the client, and understand where the client needs the most support and attention.
- A treatment feels like a wonderful glowing radiance that flows through and around you. During a Reiki session, the body enters a state of relaxation that can be described as: “not quite sleeping, not quite awake, but somewhere in between”. This is a wonderful place where intuition, awareness, and affirmations can enter the patient’s mind and this tends to create feelings of peace, security and wellbeing.
- This type of care is great to help calm the mind and the heart during periods of high-stress and overwhelming times. It gives the patient some time to reflect on their present state of wellbeing. It gives the patient an opportunity to slow down and give their mind and body a break.
IS REIKI SAFE? CAN IT BE PAINFUL?
- Reiki is a simple, natural and safe method of healing and self-improvement that everyone can use. Many people who receive reiki say they experience a refreshed spirit, better healing, and an increase in general well-being. It works in conjunction with all other medical or therapeutic techniques to relieve stress, side effects and promote recovery and wellbeing.
- Reiki is sometimes used to help people who suffer from pain or discomfort from cancer or other diseases. But reiki is not used as a treatment for cancer or any other disease. Some people who have undergone chemotherapy treatment said they felt better and had less nausea after undergoing a Reiki session.
- There are no contraindications to this type of therapy. Anyone with any type of illness or concerns can benefit from the relaxing effects of this therapy.
- Reiki does not hurt. Patients have reported feeling sensations such as warmth or cold and sensations of pressure or tingling. Some patients have reported seeing colours or visions during their treatment.
- Everyone experiences Reiki differently. If you’re feeling something uncomfortable, let your practitioner know so that she can adjust course of treatment and talk about possible significance.
- It is also possible that emotional releases occur during this type of therapy and, although these can be unpleasant to experience, the end result of this release can be awakening.
REIKI’S HEALTH BENEFITS
- According to Reiki practitioners, the healing effects are mediated by channeling the universal energy known as qi, pronounced “chi.” In India, this is known as “prana.” This is the same energy involved in tai chi exercise. It is the life force energy that some believe surrounds all of us.
- This energy is said to permeate the body. Reiki experts point out that, while this energy is not measurable by modern scientific techniques, it can be felt by many who tune in to it.
- Reiki is known to aid relaxation, assist in the body’s natural healing processes, and develop emotional, mental, and spiritual well-being.
- It is also said to induce deep relaxation, help people cope with difficulties, relieve emotional stress, and improve overall wellbeing.
- People who receive Reiki describe it as “intensely relaxing.”
CONDITIONS THAT REIKI HAS BEEN KNOWN TO HELP TREAT:
- heart disease
- chronic pain
- Crohn’s disease
- fatigue syndromes