Meridian and Acupressure Massage is a massage that focuses on massaging the meridian/energy pathways on the body. The massage consists of long flowing strokes along the meridians interspersed with specific pressure on acupressure points. It is a style of massage based on Traditional Chinese Medicine and Acupuncture, with no needles involved.
What are Meridians?
Meridians are thought to be part of a master communications system of the universal life energy, connecting the organs with all sensory, physiological and emotional aspects of the body. Acupressure points on the meridians can stimulate the local area or through the meridian connection and send healing messages to other parts of the body to benefit a variety of complaints and symptoms.
Why Massage Meridians?
When the energy (Qi) that flows through the meridians and acupressure points becomes blocked by physiological, pathological or psychological stressors, the body can not function properly and ill health or disease can manifest. Meridian Massage and Acupressure can help improve and clear blockages in the flow of Qi or energy, helping the body function optimally and facilitate its own healing. This makes meridian massage a powerful treatment to improve the overall harmony, health and well-being in the body.
How does Meridian Massage and Acupressure affect the body?
- Stimulates the low of Qi/energy through the meridians
- Balances and regulates the body’s energy system therefore improving overall health and well-being
- Stimulates the body’s ability to heal itself
- Stimulates the energy connected to each organ through its associated meridian aiding the energetic and physiological functions of that organ
- Improves mental well-being by balancing emotions via the organ and meridian emotional connection
- Improves circulation of blood into the muscles which increases transportation of nutrients into the tissue and increase the removal of waste from the tissue
- Improves circulation of lymph which increases the removal of wastes and toxins from the tissues as well as boosts the overall immune system and strengthens the body’s ability to defend against disease and infection
- Releases tension in the muscle proving the mobility, and range of motion of muscles and joints
- Stimulate the release of endorphins (chemicals produced by the body that relieve pain) which relaxes the muscle and promotes healing
- Causes a deep relaxation response in the body, reducing stress and promoting wellness
What to expect after your treatment:
Often clients do not feel any effects of the treatment immediately. It is often later on in the day, or the evening that a feeling of tiredness or heaviness may be felt. This is simply a sign that the body is using its energy to eliminate all the extra toxins that have been added to the circulatory system due to the increased lymph flow. It is important at this time to drink extra water and stay away from caffeine, alcohol, cigarettes and heavy foods to allow your body to complete this process.